The refrigerator at your office is pretty predictable: soggy salads, sloppy peanut butter & jellies, and a few scattered cups of yogurt. There’s probably a box of donuts on the break-room counter, and a bowl of candy at a desk that you find yourself at all too often. But who said eating at the office had to be so boring, not to mention unhealthy? Despite early mornings and busy work days, it is still possible to eat nutritious and tasty meals while at work. These tips and recipes will make your lunch break more exciting than ever!
Tips for eating healthy at the office:
- Pack all of the food you plan to bring to the office the night before. If you leave packing your meal until the morning, you will likely be rushed and unable to make the best choices.
- Always bring a bottle of water to keep on your desk. Refill it throughout the day to stay well-hydrated.
- Pre-portion almonds, cashews, and fruit into bags to keep near your desk for when you need a quick snack.
- Don’t forget about your leftovers! Placing a small portion of last night’s dinner into a container is a great way to put together a last-minute meal for the office.
- As often as you can, get away from your desk to eat lunch. It’s easy to become distracted and stressed while working, leading you to overeat.
- Hummus & Veggie Wraps via Lauren’s Latest:
- These wraps are super quick and easy! They can be vegetarian, or supplemented with deli meat to add more protein. They use humus as an alternative to typical high-fat sauces such as mayonnaise.
- Main Ingredients: humus, tortillas, grated cheddar cheese, veggies: cucumber, kale, bell pepper, spinach, tomatoes, onion, carrots, etc.
- Thai Chicken Salad Wrap with Blueberries via Spoonful of Flavor
- This wrap offers an exciting burst of Thai flavor and utilizes fresh blueberries – my favorite seasonal fruit!
- Main Ingredients: chicken, tortilla/wraps, edamame, blueberries, cabbage, carrots
- Kale Salad with Warm Cranberry Almond Vinaigrette via Gimme Some Oven
- This crunchy kale salad takes only 10 minutes to make, is very easy to pack, and is completely vegetarian.
- Main Ingredients: kale, almonds, dried cranberries, garlic, honey, olive oil, OPTIONAL blue cheese/goat cheese.
- Citrus Chicken Quinoa Salad via Sally’s Baking Addiction
- This protein-packed quinoa salad stands out by utilizing fresh citrus and creamy avocado.
- Main Ingredients: quinoa, chicken, orange, avocado
- Pesto Pasta with Grilled Chicken via Spiced Blog
- This pasta salad is cool and refreshing during the summer, and can be heated up for a comforting winter meal.
- Main Ingredients: chicken, farfalle pasta, basil pesto, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Greek Pasta Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette via Just a Taste
- This recipe makes a large portion of Greek pasta salad that can be easily refrigerated and used as leftovers. It is crisp, cool, and perfect for the warm summer months.
- Main Ingredients: pasta, onions, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, green peppers, feta cheese