Do you find yourself reaching for an afternoon cup o’ Joe to keep yourself alert though the afternoon? I know the drained feeling from a long day at work and realizing you won’t be leaving the office any time soon. Whether you’re pregnant, loathe the taste of coffee, or determined to kick the caffeine habit, here are ways to stay energized at work without caffeine.
- Refill your water bottle. Even mild dehydration can make you feel exhausted and run down. Keep your cells plump by sipping on water throughout the day. Not a plain Jane? Infuse your water with strawberries, lemons, limes, or pineapple cubes for a light and refreshing flavor that will get your guzzling.
- Go yogi on your break. Practicing yoga throughout your work day will be sure to reconnect you to your body, allowing your mind to experience the present state of your being. As my yoga instructor says, “it calms you down, and wakes you up.” Stress from the daily grind is sure to give you brain drain, so recharge with downward dog and gentle stretching.
- Nibble on better-for-you sweets. Office treats high in sugar like cake, candy, and soda may taste yummy, but often leave you feeling sluggish. Instead savor a square of dark chocolate or ¼ cup dried fruit like plums, apricots, or dates when your sweet tooth fires up. Double check the ingredient list to ensure it’s made with 100% fruit sugar and no sugar was added to it.
- Freshen up! Step out side and rejuvenate your senses with fresh air. Florescent lights and looking at the computer screen can lead to fatigue. Sunlight also boosts serotonin and may generate good feelings and improve your mood… it does for me at least.
- Create a to-do list. Crossing tasks off your list gives you a sense of empowerment and positive energy to keep going. You are awesome!
- Walk around every 45 minutes. Get your tushy out of the cushy, and move around! Our muscles crave movement so do your body some good and get your blood flowing throughout the day. Set a timer if you need a reminder.
- Snack smarter. A smart snack usually has protein for that satisfaction factor as well as energy rich carbohydrates. Since the brain needs carbs grab that natural energy from whole foods like fruits, dairy, and whole grains! My favorite snack pairings: 12 almonds + small banana, cottage cheese + fresh berries, Greek yogurt + granola.
- Perfect your posture. Bad posture can wear you down quicker than you probably think. Make sure your chair is supportive, desk is at a comfortable height, legs form a 90-degree angle, and feet are planted on the floor. Keep your shoulders back and relaxed.
So tell me, how do you stay energized at work without reaching for a caffeine fix?