Once the weather starts getting warmer, the shorts, tank tops, and swim suits come out of storage and I always hope they are going to fit the same (or better!) than they did last season. If things start to feel a little tight, it is time for me to pull out all the stops to tone up and slim down just a bit.
- Eat 2 fruits or veggies at every single meal. Fruits and vegetables are the lowest calorie foods, they are full of fiber and antioxidants, and they can fill you up. I don’t care how you get them: fresh, frozen, or canned—just get ‘em. Feel free to use them as snacks, too. The more the better!
- Get your zzzz’s. Sleep can honestly affect my appetite. If I don’t get enough sleep I find that I am craving sweets and looking for fast energy. Being well rested is key to a slim waistline any time of the year. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day to keep yourself on a routine.
- Move daily. If you aren’t moving, you aren’t burning. Look for opportunities to simply move more throughout your day. I will often set an alarm in my calendar to remind me to take a 10-15 minute movement break during my workday. When you do hit the gym, sweat it out with an intense enough workout to really push yourself for maximum calorie burn.
- Stay home and cook. Restaurant food is oh-so-good, but lots of times we don’t know what is going into that food (tons of oil, salt, and sugar to make it taste so good!) and when it tastes so good it is hard to push the plate away and not finish it all. Cooking at home helps to keep those portions under control as well as modifying recipes to make them a bit healthier.
- Keep drinking. Water, that is. Filling yourself with calorie free beverages not only helps to keep you hydrated, but often dehydration feels like hunger. Water can keep you energized and helps metabolism in the body to help keep you looking slim, too!