Cheeseburgers, hot dogs, potato chips, pasta salad, and apple pie – all staples of any Independence Day cookout. These options make it easy to quickly over-indulge on salt, fat, and sugar without even realizing it! Luckily, there are plenty of nutritious alternatives you can bring to your neighborhood celebration. Check out the recipes below for 4th of July inspiration – red, white, and blue has never tasted so good!
- Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad via Eating Well: This patriotic potato salad is mayonnaise-free and packed with Vitamin C! Baby potatoes are combined with roasted red pepper, scallions, and extra virgin olive oil to create a healthier alternative to an American classic.
- Patriotic Quinoa Salad via It’s Yummi: Quinoa, strawberries, and blueberries are tossed in a citrus vinaigrette to create the perfect patriotic side dish! This option is protein- and antioxidant-packed, while staying low-carb and guilt-free.
- Red, White, and Blueberry Turkey Burger Sliders via Diets in Review: Easy to grab and eat on the go, these turkey burger sliders offer a healthy alternative to a greasy cheeseburger. Feta crumbles and roasted red bell peppers are paired with a blueberry balsamic reduction to provide all of the color and flavor you could want!
- Red, White, and Blueberry Popsicles via The View from Great Island: Cool off and satisfy your sweet tooth with this simple treat! These popsicles have no added sugar or food coloring, and use three simple ingredients: raspberries, blueberries, and vanilla Greek yogurt!
- Triple Berry Raw Cheesecake via Spabettie: Feeling adventurous? Try this vegan, raw, gluten-free cheesecake alternative! It’s made with a tempeh-based crust and cashew-based berry layers.
How will you celebrate our independence this 4th of July?