My favorite meal of the day: dessert. As soon as nighttime rolls around, I want to curl up on the sofa with a bowl of ice cream and settle in to watch my favorite TV show. My idea of a fun Sunday afternoon is whipping up a new brownie recipe or grabbing Italian ice with my friends. While it’s important to limit my refined sugar intake, there’s no way I’ll be able to completely cut out dessert. Luckily, I’ve discovered ways to satisfy my sweet tooth without all the guilt. Check out the swaps you can make to indulge yourself in a healthier way!
- Swap brownies for a Healthy Brownie Granola Bar via Minimalist Baker: These 7-ingredient, no-bake bars are packed with protein, fiber, and antioxidants, all while tasting like a brownie! Does it get any better than that? They contain rolled oats, raw nuts, dates, cocoa powder, almond butter, and maple syrup or honey as a sweetener. The recipe can also be modified to be gluten-free or vegan – so everyone can try them out!
- Swap ice cream for a Strawberry-Raspberry Sundae via Eating Well: I scream, you scream…you know the rest. An easy way to satisfy your inner ice cream lover is by topping nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt with fresh seasonal berries. This recipe uses strawberries, raspberries and lemon juice to create a delicious, 130 calorie sundae with 0 grams of fat and 5 grams of protein!
- Swap your favorite box of candy for Cinnamon-Honey Popcorn via Naturally Ella: I get it, you might not want to curl up to your favorite movie with a bowl of fresh fruit. But instead of mindlessly reaching into a box of candy while you relax, try out this cinnamon-honey popcorn! A combination of coconut oil, honey, cinnamon, sea salt, and a little cane sugar creates a dessert that won’t make you feel guilty as you reach for another handful.
- Swap chocolate chip cookies with Healthy Apple Cookies via my recipe: Yay, more fruit! This swap is the easiest one yet. Simply cut an apple into thin slices, then top them with peanut butter, walnuts, coconut flake, and cacao nibs. You’ll be satisfying your sweet tooth and getting an entire serving of fruit at the same time!
- Creating a Greek-yogurt based parfait topped with blueberries, chia seeds, and your favorite raw nuts.
- Dipping strawberries into a small amount of melted dark chocolate.
- Topping a sliced banana with peanut butter and a sprinkle of granola.
What is your favorite guilt-free dessert?