Wherever you travel this summer, bring your fitness and nutrition goals along with you! The rest and relaxation of vacation doesn’t have to usher in indulgence and loss of motivation. Instead, view your next trip as the perfect chance to stick to your goals in new and exciting ways! Follow these 6 easy tips to make this vacation the healthiest one yet.
- Do your research. Before zipping up your suitcase and locking the door behind you, hit the internet! Become familiar with the area you’re traveling to – including popular local eateries and access to grocery stores. If you’re headed somewhere more remote, try to determine where your food will be coming from and what times of the day you’ll be able to eat.
- Pack healthy snacks. There’s nothing worse than spending $10.99 on greasy airport food! Stock your carry bag on with healthy snacks like nuts, dried fruit, apple slices, protein bars, and peanut butter. If your destination lacks easy access to healthy food, consider packing protein powder and canned tuna in your suitcase.
- Sharing is caring. Chances are, you’ll be eating out more than usual while on vacation. This is the perfect chance to try local specials and new flavors! However, portion sizes at restaurants tend to be far larger than anything you would normally eat for a single meal. Consider ordering an appetizer portion, or splitting your entrée with a family member!
- Savor your indulgences. Allow yourself to relax and embrace the sweeter side of things – but savor these occurrences! Instead of inhaling a large ice cream cone, split a smaller dessert with your loved ones or limit yourself to one special treat during the trip.
- Embrace ecotourism. Regardless of where you’re headed, chances are there is an opportunity to get outside and be active! Activities like kayaking, paddle boarding, hiking, rock climbing, surfing, white water rafting, and horseback riding are the perfect way to stay active while exploring your destination.
- Pre-schedule your workouts. It will be much easier to fit in workouts if you know exactly when you’ll be doing them ahead of time! Look at your itinerary for the week and figure out when you can squeeze in a quick run or a bodyweight circuit. While this might require you to wake up earlier, you’ll feel better the rest of the day knowing that you’re staying on track!
What trip are you looking forward to the most this summer?